RSVP and join the Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition for virtual meetings with Congressional staff and members from October 18 to the 22. Each state is assigned to a day as outlined below.
For its visit to Capitol Hill, DPAC will bring two legislative requests before members of Congress - the Ensuring Access to Lower-Cost Medicines for Seniors Act (H.R. 2846) and the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act of 2021 (S. 596/H.R. 1577). These active, bipartisan bills fit within DPAC’s broader advocacy efforts to advance federal and state policies that improve health care access and affordability for people with diabetes and all Americans. Reducing barriers to individualized diabetes management is better for people with diabetes and their families, and a wiser investment of heath care dollars for taxpayers, especially in the face of a diabetes epidemic.
The Ensuring Access to Lower-Cost Medicines for Seniors Act creates better opportunities for Medicare beneficiaries with diabetes to have affordable access to lifesaving medicine. Measures include:
● Ensuring automatic coverage of lower-cost generic and biosimilar medications on plan formularies immediately after launch.
● Placing generic drugs on “generic-only” formulary tiers so patients are not charged the higher brand rate for lower cost generics.
● Creating a dedicated specialty tier for specialty generics and biosimilars with significantly lower patient cost-sharing than the brand specialty tier.
The Treat and Reduce Obesity Act (TROA) updates Medicare coverage to reflect currently available treatment options and standards of care for obesity treatment and prevention. Measures include:
● Expanding the pool of providers offering Intensive Behavioral Therapy (IBT) treatment beyond primary care providers to include other qualified health practitioners.
● Adding Medicare Part D coverage of FDA-approved medications for chronic weight management.
Please find below the schedule for visits by state to see which day a state’s meetings will occur.
Please note – by RSVPing to the following event you commit to attending meetings on your state’s assigned date, a preparatory training on October 12 from 1-2:30pm EDT, and a state-level briefing between October 12-14, details TBD. Contact information for any registration inquiries may be found on the registration page.